What is Linksys Smart Wifi?
Confused before making your first purchase? Don’t know a lot about the Linksys Smart Wi- Fi? Here we have mentioned everything you need to know about the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. This one is a free service that comes along when you purchase the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router. It helps in gaining access to a secure home network from a browser or a mobile device. For that all you gotta do is tap into your home network in order to check the connection status of the devices. Then, give a guest access to the Internet or in case if you would like to block your child’s computer from accessing websites that exhibit toxic programs. Also, the best thing is that you can also prioritize the devices on your network that get the most bandwidth in order to eliminate lag times and bufferings. Well, it is doubtless that these routers are the best in the market but the extenders are like the cherry on the top deals for these routers as the enhance, boost, strengthen the range of the signals emitted by the routers. Also, these extenders perform the task of amplifying the wireless signals from the router prior to their transmission. This necessary boost helps greatly in strengthening of the signals and protecting them from any barriers. It is because of this the signals get enhanced and are able to overcome all the penetration losses.
Isn’t that just cool?
How can you Setup the Linksys Extender using
You can operate the Extender.Linksys.com using the web based setup page. First and foremost, it is essential for you to login to the web based setup interface. Following these steps you can easily login:
● You should connect the extender to the power supply by putting the power cable to use. Then wait patiently until the lights become stable.
● For connecting a device with the wireless extender’s Ethernet port, use an Ethernet cable.
● Ensure that there aren’t any cuts on the Ethernet cable and all the Ethernet ports are functioning in order.
● Also, the connections should be finger-tight.
● Next, open a web browser that has been installed on your device and log into
● As soon as you hit enter, you’ll be asked for a username and passphrase.
● It should be noted that these credentials are ‘admin and password’ by default and in case you haven’t customized them, you should contact the experts if you can’t recall the password and username settings.
● If you have entered the credentials, tap on ‘Login’.
● Then you should wait for a few minutes until you are routed to the web page for linksys wifi extender setup.
Important: The steps mentioned above are for the non-configured extenders. In case, your extender has already been configured, you should refer to the next section for access.
How can you access the Linksys Extender Setup page?
If you extender has been configured, then you should follow these steps for gaining access to the Linksys wireless extender setup page:
For Windows 10 Operating systems:
● You should go to the start button and open the file explorer
● Click on ‘Network’ on the left side
● Then, under network, right click on the name of the Extender
● Click on the ‘view device web page’ displayed on the drop down list
● You should enter the username and password that has been assigned
● Now, the web browser will open the web-based setup page
For Windows 8/8.1 Operating systems:
● Visit the charms bar (the bar on the rights that exhibits five icons on the home screen, and then click on search
● In the required box, type ‘Network’ and then press enter
● Now under the network, you should right click on the extender’s icon and select the
● You can note down the extender’s IP address
● Then open a web browser and type the IP address on the address bar. Click enter
● Now that all has been done, you’ll see the Linksys extender’s web based setup page
For MAC operating Systems:
● Start with the Safari web browser and then open the Bookmarks tab
● Double click the chosen Bonjour from the drop down list
● Now, you should use the username and the password that had been assigned to your
extender’s network or you can simply use the admin and password as the credentials
● You’ll be routed to the online setup page of the Linksys wireless extender
How can you set up the Linksys Extender on the setup page?
You can setup the Linksys Wi-Fi range extender either manually or using the WPS functionality. The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi set up that uses the web based interface is referred to as manual setup. Nonetheless, often the WPS functionality is limited to lesser models, so manual setup is mostly used.
Important: Note that the manual setup is also referred to as a process to set up Linksys extender without CD.
Guidelines that should be followed for Manual Setup
Now that you have the setup page of the extender displayed, you should configure the extenders settings following these steps:
Preconditions for the setup:
● It is essential to place the extender in the same room where the router has been placed during and prior to the installation process
● The home network should be checked and should be working well
● Then you should be ready with the password as it will be required during the network configuration.
● You’ll be routed to the Linksys Wi-Fi range extender smart wizard on the online setup page
● You should click on the wireless and then on the Basic wireless settings
● Choose between Wi-Fi protected setup or Manual Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup. You should go for the manual setup
● The type your SSID, that is the network name in the prompted box
● Type the passphrase for the chosen wireless network
● Click on the save button and save the settings
● Then you should power cycle your router and the extender. Start taking leverage of the amazing network connectivity throughout your premise
● Now that all has been done, calm down as you have successfully configured your Linksys extender manually using http://extender.linksys.com
Note: Pin number of the client device can also be used for the set up
How to check the extender’s connectivity after the Setup?
Using the ping command of the command prompt, you can easily check the extender’s connectivity after the setup has been done. Ensure that you followed all the guidelines in the required chronological order before you move on to checking the network’s connectivity. If everything has been done, follow these steps if you want to check the network’s connectivity:
● Look for the command prompt on the device
● Type the IP address of the extender and click enter, now that you have opened the command prompt
● Your Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup is all good if you see the data transmissions
● If in case, you ‘disconnected’ or ‘no data transmissions’ then the router’s firmware might be outdated
● For updating the extender’s firmware, refer to the below
How can you upgrade the firmware of your Wi-Fi Extender?
Well, firmware is the software through which the extender operates. The Linksys extender can’t be completed until it has been upgraded to the latest version. Follow these guidelines for upgrading the Linksys extender’s firmware:
● Login to the online extender’s settings portal
● Log into the web address http://extender.linksys.com
● Enter the username and password
● Next, go to the administration section
● Under this, you’ll come across the option of upgrading the firmware
● Click on ‘firmware upgrade’ and the process of this update will start
● It is important to not interrupt the setup process as it can corrupt the firmware
● This upgrade helps greatly in adding to the functionality of the extender and enhances the performance of the extender
How can you access the Linksys extender after the Setup?
After you have done everything, for accessing the Linksys Extender after setting up the manage settings, you should change the network name or password. Here’s how you can reach the settings portal of your configured extender:
● You should turn on your device
● Either using wireless or Ethernet cable, connect to the Extender’s network
● Delete the cache and the cookies after you open the web browser
● Log into http://extender.linksys.com
● Enter the username and the password in the prompt box
● If done, click on ‘login’
● Welcome to the extender’s online settings portal
● You can now make all the desired changes and click on the save button
What are penetration losses?
Thinking about penetration losses? Well, here is the answer that’ll end up all the queries hovering in your mind. So as we know that the wireless signals originate from the Routers and then further get transmitted to a number of devices such as phones, tablets, laptops and computers. During this procedure of transmission of the signals, the signals pass through a number of barriers and hurdles such as walls, table, windows, devices that emit frequency signals that include microwaves and televisions. So this tends to decrease the speed of the signals by weakening its strength. So this is what is known as penetration losses. So the Linksys Extender device is all that you need to increase the coverage area of your Router.
How can you re-configure your Linksys Extender?
You will be required to undertake this task of re-configuration, in case you are planning to set up your existing extender to an alien network. Here’s how you can do that by simply following the given instructions in the proper order:
It is required for you to reset the extender prior to executing this process of reconfiguration:
● You should press the reset button on the extender for a time span of 15 seconds and let it reboot
● Either you can also go to the web based settings interface – extender.linksys.com
● Click on the factory reset button under the ‘Administration’ tab
Now that it has been reset, you’ll land to the factory defaults page. From here on, you can start with the reconfiguration process through this page.
● The extender should be connected to the computer or laptop using the Ethernet cable
● Using any web browser, go to the Linksys Extender setup page
● Then click on the ‘manual’ setup fro Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup and implement the on-screen instructions
● Choose the name of the network that you’d wish to use, after all the instructions listed above have been followed
● Lastly, type the password for the network that you have selected and click on apply